Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Interview with Lauren Carr

Interview with Lauren Carr                   
Author of
The Murders at Astaire Castle
(A Mac Faraday Mystery)


Questions: R. Murry

Can you tell me a little about yourself? I first fell in love with murder mysteries when my mother read Perry Mason to me at bedtime. From murderous bedtime stories, I grew up to become the author of the Mac Faraday Mysteries, which takes place in Deep Creek Lake, Maryland.  

The Murders at Astaire Castle is the fifth installment in the Mac Faraday Mystery series. Within days of its release in July 2013, it was in the Top-100 slot on Amazon under mystery-thrillers/police procedural. It is my Halloween mystery.

This month, The Lady Who Cried Murder, the sixth Mac Faraday mystery, was released and is in the top one-hundred in police procedurals and cozies on Amazon. In this mystery, Mac Faraday and his friends encounter their strangest group of suspects yet in the murder of a fame-obsessed reality star.

I am also the owner of Acorn Book Services, which offers publishing management, consulting, editing, cover and layout design, and eBook formatting for independent authors. This year, several books, over a variety of genres, all written by independent authors, will be released through the management of Acorn Book Services, which is currently accepting submissions. Visit Acorn Book Services website for more information.

I do all that from my home in Harpers Ferry, WV, where I live with my husband, son, and three dogs (which includes a German shepherd named Gnarly).

Do you remember the first story you wrote? Actually, I remember two stories. I had been making up stories from the time I could use my imagination, but never actually sat down to write one out. At fourteen, I decided to write a short story for a writing contest in a teen girl magazine. It was a kidnapping story. A romance won.

Later, when I was a senior in high school, a friend of mine was in a fix. She was taking creative writing and had the whole semester to write a short story, but she couldn’t. She was completely blocked. So, on the day the story was due, during lunch, I wrote out a short story in long hand. It was a comedy about a dog that was suffering from the humiliation of fleas. He is in love with the dog across the street, but his flea problem repelled her. The story was written in first person. She paid me with a cheeseburger, fries, and soda. It was my first professional writing job. She got an A for the story.

Were you inspired by someone or something? I’d have to say my mother. Books and mysteries are the love we share. She has always encouraged me to write and supported it. I can’t tell you how many times she would read a book and say, “Your stories are so much better than that.” She said it enough for me to believe it.

What do you like about writing a story? It’s the escape into a world of adventure and mystery.

Can you tell us about your book? In The Murders at Astaire Castle, Mac Faraday discovers that he owns a haunted castle. Or is it cursed?

Topping the list of the ten most haunted places in America, Astaire Castle is associated with two suicides, three mysterious disappearances, and four murders since it was built almost a century ago—and Mac Faraday owns it!
In spite of David’s warning, Mac can’t resist unlocking the gate to see the castle that supposedly hasn’t seen a living soul since his late mother had ordered it closed up after the double homicide and disappearance of Damian Wagner, a world-famous master of horror novels.
Halloween has always been a fun time. It’s the time to break out and be someone else. As a child, I would pretend to be one of the Bobby Twins searching for clues to lead me to a secret treasure. If I was lucky, it was made up of chocolate. As a teenager, I was Nancy Drew. Always, when October rolled around, I craved mysteries with something extra added—something beyond the normal—something supernatural. As an author, I couldn’t resist taking this one Mac Faraday Mystery on a scary Halloween adventure.
What starts out as a quick tour of a dusty old castle turns into another Mac Faraday adventure when Astaire Castle becomes the scene of even more murders. Mac is going to need to put all of his investigative talents to work to sort out this case that involves the strangest characters he has run into yet—including a wolf man. No, we’re not talking about Gnarly.


What genre best fits for the book? It’s a mystery.  I would not classify as a paranormal, though they do encounter a wolf man in the castle. Amazon has placed my mysteries under both police procedural and cozy. I guess you would describe them as “gritty cozies.”

Are you working on something new at the moment? Right now, I’m working on the next Mac Faraday, which I am aiming for an early 2014 release. The working title is Twelve to Murder. In this mystery, Mac is taken hostage by the prime suspect in a double homicide, who gives him twelve hours, until midnight, to find the real murderer and prove him innocent. If Mac fails, then the hostage taker is going to kill him—after shooting Mac in the head.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? Write whatever turns you on. Don’t worry about the market or what is hot right now. That always changes and you will go nuts trying to keep up with it. Write what you love. If you love it, there will surely be an audience who will love it, too.

Where can people go to read your work? Amazon.com. All of my books is available in both print and e-book. The e-book versions are only 99 cents each.

Do you have anything to add? Readers can also get the updated schedule for my tour by visiting my sites:
Visit Lauren’s websites and blog at:
                 http://mysterylady.net/
Blog: Literary Wealth: http://literarywealth.wordpress.com/


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Roy, for inviting me to stop by your site today. It is a joy!

    ReplyDelete