Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Interview of Douglas Wickard

Interview of Douglas Wickard
Author of A Perfect Setup

Questions: R. Murry

Can you tell me a little about yourself? I live in Los Angeles, I work a full time job in the hospitality industry, and I fit in my writing early in the morning, before the world wakes up so I won’t be disturbed. I live a pretty boring existence, actually. I love Mexican food with margaritas, of course, and like Sami, enjoy a nice vodka martini from time to time.

Do you remember the first story you wrote? Yes, I’ve often mentioned it before. I was twelve years old and Reader’s Digest had a writing competition called FIRST PERSON’S AWARD. It was an opportunity for readers to write about a particularly rough time they were going through in their lives.

Of course, with my wild imagination, I decided to write about my fictitious heroin addiction. At twelve! My sister, Karen typed up the manuscript so it appeared professional and we sent it out, fingers crossed. I didn’t win, but it sure showed me what an adrenalin rush fees like, as well as what the power of imagination can unleash with the written word.

Were you inspired by someone or something? I have a blog post entitled A DEDICATION TO TEACHERS. My 10th grade English teacher, Patsy Grimm was that person for me. On my graduation day from High School, she presented me with a book, THE PROPHET. Inside she wrote a lovely letter, which is now framed and hanging above my writer’s desk, letting me know I would eventually come around to writing. Even though my mind was set on being a doctor at the time, I became a writer. Well, she was right! 

What do you like about writing a story? It’s freedom. The way a story unfolds. The relationship I develop with the characters from that first page until the last. It’s an amazing process.

Can you tell us about your book? A PERFECT SETUP is the sequel to A PERFECT HUSBAND. In my new Sami Saxton novel, I chose to make Sami more real.  My pitch is: Sami’s back, and this time it’s personal.  

After moving to the country house her deceased father built years ago and coming face-to-face with a serial killer, Sami moves back to the City. She is dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Agoraphobia from her experience. Then, the unthinkable occurs, her ex husband, Jerry, is taken into custody for the murder of a young woman found brutally murdered in a Midtown hotel.    

What genre best fits for the book?  Thriller; suspense; mystery.

Are you working on something new at the moment? I’m working on a new book called ENCOUNTER.  It is not a Sami Saxton novel, but a new series introducing FBI Agent Dan Hammer and Inspector Vanessa Sanchez from the SFPD. It is due for release on Halloween this year.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? Just do it! Go to the end. Don’t edit yourself during the creative process.

Where can people go to read your work? A PERFECT HUSBAND anywhere ebooks are sold and A PERFECT SETUP exclusively on Amazon.


Do you have anything to add? Thank you for this opportunity. I appreciate the support. Also, I send a big thank you to my readers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment